Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Moment


I was in the elevator on my way up to my routine prenatal appointment when a little boy with his grandma got in the elevator with me. I was a little taken back by the fact that he was carrying a toy gun. With the events that continue to transpire across the country with children bringing guns to school and the devastating loss our own community suffered only a month ago I was just surprised to see a parental figure out in public with a small child and a toy gun.

I am sure I had disapproval written all over my face as the grandma ushered her grandson to the back of the elevator as quickly as she could. Mom always says I need to work on keeping my face neutral, I just haven't been able to master that task yet. Whenever I feel my disgust, or irritation mounting I have a bad habit of immediately pulling out my phone and either texting Trevor or Christina so they can share my sentiments. I'm sure it was obvious I was more than a little shocked.

As soon as the elevator stopped on the fourth floor I rushed off full of emotions that I can't explain even now. It made me so sad, so deeply sad. I am not anti-guns or against owning guns, I just feel like small children should be taught to respect them and how to handle them properly. I know this was just a toy but after what happened last month Trevor went through and removed all the guns from the toy box until he could have a real conversation with Ethan about them.

After my appointment I sat in my car a little haunted. These days it takes less than a second for a heart to shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Silly Bio

My photo
I am a full time mom and wife, who also happens to have a full time job outside of the home. I love coming up with creative family time and date night ideas, i love baking, shopping, crafting and transforming our house into our own special nook. I have 3 amazing boys and a wonderful husband who completely balances me out and puts up with all my crazy ideas!