Monday, May 26, 2014

Mommy Ramblings: Out of the Mouth of Babes

If you ever want to learn something about yourself all you have to do is ask your child what they think about you. The truth may hurt, but hearing what your child thinks about you can be turned into constructive reflection. Plus, as long as you don't take offense to it it can be quite entertaining.

So a few weeks ago when Trevor was working I asked Ethan what he thought about us. I figured it might go over his head or that he wouldn't really know how to answer the question, but I was pleasantly surprised. Here is what he said for me: smart, pretty, fun, mean, princess, and rude. For Trevor he said: likes to play with us, fun, super hero, mean, and awesome.

To be totally honest, I was happy to hear what he feels, but I was a little hurt that I received mean and rude while Trevor was more of the fun things. So then I asked him why he felt the way he did, which he had a hard time answering. So, I asked him why he felt that we were mean to which he told me we always yell at him and Carter. Which honestly made me feel awful and has made me take a step back and rethink the way I speak to him and his brother. I then asked him why he felt like mommy was rude and he said that I don't let him talk all the time and he doesn't get to finish things when he is trying to tell me stories. Again, I felt so sad that I make him feel that what he is trying to tell me was unimportant or that I didn't care. I'm really trying to be more conscious of my actions with him so that he feels loved and knows that what he has to say is important to me.

All the rest of the stuff was fun and nice to hear. I have such special children, and such an amazing five year old!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Silly Bio

My photo
I am a full time mom and wife, who also happens to have a full time job outside of the home. I love coming up with creative family time and date night ideas, i love baking, shopping, crafting and transforming our house into our own special nook. I have 3 amazing boys and a wonderful husband who completely balances me out and puts up with all my crazy ideas!